Friday, March 28, 2014

ER & Character

Around midnight last night...
Trav woke up in some serious pain.
I knew right away that something was wrong.
He said his eyeballs felt like they were on fire.
And he couldn't even open them for me to see.
So we headed to the ER.
Being the worry wart I am...
I started to cry when we got in the car.
All I kept thinking was
"he's going to go blind, he's going to go blind"
And let me tell you...
I am not the biggest fan of our local Band-Aid shop hospital
but last night I was impressed.
The nurse on call was amazing!!
All I said was "I think he might have flash burn from welding"
Boom. She took him straight to a room.
Immediately trying to get him comfortable.
Didn't ask his name. For an insurance card. Just immediate help.
Once the doctor came in (quickly)
she confirmed that he did indeed have severe flash burn
and corneal abrasion on both eyes.
When they asked if he would like to make this a 'work injury'
He declined.
When I asked him why?
He told me he couldn't do that to his guys at work.
(They get bonuses for perfect safety)
That is the man I married.
We were there for a couple hours
trying to get him comfortable enough to come home.
It was horrible to watch.
Especially for the guy who takes 20 minutes to put his contacts in.
We had strict instructions for him to
take medicated drops & pain medication every few hours,
wear sunglasses & no work for at least 24 hours.
We got home around 3.
He usually leaves for work at 4:30.
And what was he doing at 6:00 this morning...
going to work.
Even though I disagreed.
I knew I couldn't convince him otherwise.
Know how earlier this week I told you he is working 7 12s?
Well. They have a deadline. And every day they go over the deadline
it will cost their company $9000/day.
Trav will not let that happen.
Dedicated.
That's my toots.
He likes to come off as a hard ass
but I see right through it ;)
My heart is so full of love & appreciation for him today.
It's more than him going to work when he's not supposed to.
It is his compassion.
For his company, his job, and most importantly his employees.
He really isn't a boss. He is a leader.
And that...
Is exactly what he is instilling in our boys.
To say I am proud of him would be an understatement :) 

1 comment:

Katie said...

I'm way behind on blogs so I'm just now reading this...but I'm glad he's ok! And how awesome of him to be thinking of everyone at his work while he was in so much pain...I felt proud of him and I don't even know him so I can't imagine how you felt :)